Cupcake Tower Birthday Cake
- 1 stick and 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Colored candies of your choice to match the cupcake paper colors
- colored candles
You will need 17 purple cupcake papers, 8 red cupcake papers, 5 green cupcake papers, 3 yellow cupcake papers, 1 blue cupcake paper.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cupcake papers in three 12-hole muffin trays. If you don’t have enough trays, just fill the papers and cook them in a second batch – the mixture will be fine for the 15 minutes it takes to cook the first batch.
In an electric mixer, beat butter for 2-3 minutes until pale in color and creamy. Add sugar one third at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for about a minute between each addition. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. Sift flour and baking powder and add half to butter mixture with half the milk, beat until well combined. Repeat with remaining flour and milk.
Spoon into cupcake papers and bake for about 15 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool completely.
Cream butter until pale and smooth. Add the milk and half the sifted confectioners sugar. Beat until well combined. Add the remaining confectioners sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy. The mixture should be a spreadable paste; if it is too dry add some more milk, if too wet add more confectioners sugar.
Spread a tablespoon of icing on each of the base layer (purple) cupcakes. Use a knife to smooth the surface. Arrange 7 cupcakes in the middle of a platter surrounded by 10 on the outside. Decorate the cupcakes on the outside with the matching candies. Repeat with the next layer (red) of cupcakes, with 1 in the centre surrounded by 7 cupcakes. Press the red candies into the edges of the cupcakes on the outer circle. Continue with the 5 green cupcakes, 3 yellow cupcakes and finally the blue cupcake. Add the appropriate number of candles.
- Make the cupcakes in advance and freeze until needed; it is also easier to ice the frozen cupcakes.
- The bottoms of some of the cupcakes will have icing from the layer below; if you have kids that don’t like icky fingers, have some napkins at the ready to wipe the bases as you are ‘serving’.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, baking time: 15 minutes, decorating time: 50 minutes.