Calabacitas is the name for this Mexican-style zucchini dish I’ve always known and hands down favor. It’s savory broth and fresh vegetables hold all the flavors of comfort food. The grated cheese take this spectacular stewed side dish over the top and will soon become one of your favorite ways to enjoy zucchini, if it isn’t already. I usually serve calabacitas on the side with a piece of pork or fish, but my Mom loves having a big bowl and treats it as her main dish. I prefer to cut my zucchini in rounds but some folks cut them into cubes. I feel the zucchini cooks faster this way and it makes for a pretty presentation. Enjoy!
Ingredients For Calabacitas:
- 3 – tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 1/2 – pounds Mexican or regular zucchini (cut into 1/4 inch rounds)
- 3/4 – cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 – teaspoon salt
- 1/2 – teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 – teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 – teaspoon oregano
- 2 – small tomatoes (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1/2 – cup corn kernels
- 1- cup vegetable broth
- 1 – cup grated jack cheese
- In a large frying pan or pot over a medium high flame add in olive oil and allow to heat until hot.
- Add in zucchini, and saute for 10 minutes stirring often.
- Add in onion and continue cooking zucchini onion mixture for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add in salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Mix to combine.
- Next add in tomatoes and corn. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes or until zucchini is slightly translucent in the center.
- Pour in vegetable broth, lower flame, cover pan or pot with lid and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add grated cheese to the top.
- Serve in a bowl.
Read more from Nicole Presley on her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.