I’m a huge fan of the empanada, but when prepared in a puff pastry instead of pie crust… All I have to say is, “Whoa!” The flaky, puffy crust blankets roasted cauliflower, sweet caramelized onions, and a sharp piece of cheddar cheese making these emapandas one of the best I have ever made. Eat it with a side salad as a main course, or pop it in your mouth as a mid-day snack. Doesn’t matter how you enjoy them, as long as you do.
Cauliflower Caramelized Onion Cheddar Empanada Puffs 1 of 13
This puff pastry empanada is stuffed with roasted cauliflower, caramelized onions and a slice of cheddar cheese... It brings the "whoa" factor home.
Key Ingredients 2 of 13
Here are the two stars of the empanada show.
Melting Butter 3 of 13
In a large frying pan over a medium flame add butter and allow to melt.
Onions 4 of 13
Add in onions, and mix to combine. Sprinkle in Lawry's, black pepper, dried basil.
Caramelized 5 of 13
Cook onions until golden brown, mixing occasionally. It will take about 20 minutes for onions to brown.
Roasted Cauliflower 6 of 13
Roast some cauliflower
Place Caramelized Onion In Center 7 of 13
In the center of each square place a small pile of caramelized onions.
Cauliflower 8 of 13
Top with roasted cauliflower.
Cheese Hat 9 of 13
Top with some cheddar cheese.
Fold Over 10 of 13
Fold the puff pastry over and press the edges with your fingers to seal the edges.
Fork It 11 of 13
Take a fork and press the edges. Poke the top with the fork making a few holes.
Brush 12 of 13
Brush the empanadas with egg wash. Bake for 20 minutes.
Empanadas Coliflor 13 of 13
Snack away! Enjoy!
Ingredients for cauliflower caramelized onion cheddar empanada puffs:
- 3 – tablespoons butter
- 1 – onion (sliced)
- 1/2 – teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
- 1/2 – teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 – teaspoon dried basil
- 1 – box of puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 1 – cup roasted cauliflower
- 8 – 1/2 inch slices of cheddar cheese
- 1 – egg
- 1 – tablespoon water
- In a large frying pan over a medium flame add butter and allow to melt.
- Add in onions, and mix to combine. Sprinkle in Lawry’s, black pepper, dried basil.
- Cook onions until golden brown, mixing occasionally. It will take about 20 minutes for onions to brown.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Unfold puff pasty sheets and cut each one into 4 even pieces. For a total of 8 squares.
- In the center of each square place a small pile of caramelized onions, 2 pieces of roasted cauliflower, and a slice of cheddar cheese.
- Fold the puff pastry over and press the edges with your fingers to seal the edges. Then take a fork and press the edges. Poke the top with the fork making a few holes.
- Place empanadas on a mat lined baking sheet.
- In a separate bowl whisk together egg and water, then brush the empanadas with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.