Chocolate milk is a classic kid favorite. And this is an easy, frothy, rich, creamy, non-dairy chocolate milk recipe that you can make at home in seconds using a few healthy ingredients. This creamy chocolate milk is rich in vegan protein – and is filled with rich chocolate malted flavor. Get the recipe!..
You can make three versions of this milk. Hemp milk, cashew milk or almond milk. I prefer the flavor of the almond milk, but the hemp milk is super convenient since you really can make it form start to finish in minutes.
The almond and cashew milk requires that you soak the nuts in salted water for about 4-8 hours – or until tender enough to blend into creamy milk.
Both versions require the use of a blender – for the almond milk you may need a high speed blender to properly puree the almonds.
You will also need a nut bag – or strainer to filter the blended milk to make it silky smooth. Filtering the pureed milk is actually an optional step – however most kids will prefer the taste of smooth milk – so it is worth the added time and effort.
To sweeten, you can use a wide variety of sweeteners. I like agave syrup best. You can also try calorie-free stevia, maple syrup or standard organic sugar.
Malted Flavor. The “malted” flavor comes from using maca powder. This is a super food ingredient that has a nice malty flavor. You can skip this ingredient and still end up with a rich chocolate-y milk. So it is optional.
Chocolate. For raw milk, use raw cacao powder. It is rich in antioxidants and has a very smooth and pure chocolate flavor. If you do not have raw cacao powder you can sub with dairy-free cocoa powder.
Chocolate Malted Non-Dairy Milk
Almond version – follow this almond milk recipe and add in the cacao and maca powders to turn into “chocolate” almond milk.
Hemp Version Chocolate Milk
makes about 4 cups
3 cups chilled/purified water
2-3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
1/2 cup raw shelled hemp seeds, organic
2 Tbsp agave syrup
1 tsp maca powder
1/2 vanilla bean, pod seeds OR 1 tsp real vanilla extract
salt to taste at least a few pinches (I like pink salt)
ice: for ultra-chill serving (blended with ice)
1. Add all the ingredients to your blender. Blend on low to get started them move to high. Blend on a high speed until the mixture is frothy and opaque chocolate brown. If it seems watery keep blending or add a few more seeds for richer creamier milk.
2. You can drink as is or for true silky milk strain the milk through a nut bag or a fine mesh strainer.
3. My tip: before serving blend with a handful of ice. This ensures that the hemp milk is served ice cold which is the best way to taste it!
Hemp milk ingredients..
You can also make using cashews. Follow this recipe on Healthy. Happy. Life. and add in the cacao and maca powder to infuse the “chocolate” flavor.
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.
Don’t miss the latest from Family Kitchen – Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen:
* 14 Meatless Meals for Back to School
* Grapefruit Blue Smoothie
* 21 Recipes to Enjoy Dessert for Breakfast – via oatmeal!
* Peanut Butter Tofu Rice Bowl
* Peanut Mandarin Rice Bowl
* 25 Super Cute Veggie Bento Kids Lunches