This Citrus Nog French Bread French Toast is super simple to make and a provides a delicious way to use up day-old loaves or slices of French bread. I also love to save and freeze all the “free bread” sides our local pizza place and take-out cafes give us and then use it to make this breakfast dish. This citrus, nog, and cinnamon-flavored French toast is perfect for the holidays. And since the recipe uses dairy and egg-free holiday nog as a base, it is vegan! Get the recipe..
Citrus Nog French Bread French Toast
vegan, makes 4 servings
8 chunky slices of day-old French bread (if frozen, thaw first)
1 1/2 cups vegan soy nog or vegan pumpkin spice nog (available at Whole Foods)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup fresh citrus juice (orange or tangerine)
1/4 tsp orange zest
4 Tbsp Earth Balance vegan buttery spread (for cooking in skilet)
toppings: maple syrup + Earth Balance
1. Combine the citrus juice, nog, cinnamon and zest in a shallow bowl.
2. Heat a skillet, high heat. Melt in 1 tablespoon of vegan butter.
3. Quickly soak 2 slices of French bread in the nog mixture. Then transfer to the hot vegan butter-slathered skillet. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium if bread begins to burn.
4. Transfer cooked toast to plate and repeat process until all the bread is used.
5. Serve warm with Earth Balance and maple syrup over top.
photo credit: Kathy Patalsky
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.
More on Family Kitchen: