Classic Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup superfine sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 2/3 cup light cream, whipped
- 1 package of strawberries, washed, topped and halved
- Powdered sugar, to dust
Preheat oven to 350°. Butter one deep 8 inch round pan or two deep 8 inch cake pans and line with baking paper.
Use an electric stand mixer to beat the eggs on high speed until thick and creamy. This will take 7-8 minutes.
With the mixer still going, add superfine sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating until dissolved after each addition. When all sugar is dissolved, turn off mixer.
Sift flours three times to aerate and combine. Sift onto egg mixture. Use a spatula to gently fold flours into eggs. This is the critical bit, use a ‘light’ hand and don’t over mix.
Pour into prepared pan and spread mixture evenly. If using one cake pan, cook for about 30 minutes and if using two pans, cook for about 20 minutes. The sponge is cooked when it has slightly come away from the sides and the top springs back when lightly touched. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
If you have baked one cake, cut in half. Place base sponge on serving plate, spread with cream and sprinkle with strawberries. Place top sponge on and dust with powdered sugar.
- If you are particular about the top of your cakes, turn over so the bases are on the racks and you won’t get criss-crosses on the tops of your cakes.
- To dust with powdered sugar, place about one teaspoon in a tea strainer or fine sieve, hold about 8 inches above cake and tap the sides so the sugar falls lightly on the cake.
- If you don’t have strawberries or other berries in the house, use 1/3 cup of raspberry or strawberry jam.