This might sound a little crazy until you really think about it, but cookie dough is the perfect gift for all your busy friends! A roll of thin, crispy and chewy, buttery and chocolate-y cookie dough happiness, all rolled up, packaged in your own personal style and ready to be tossed into the freezer. Who wouldn’t like a gift like that?
One night before dinner, your friend, your sister-in-law, your daughter’s piano teacher or your son’s math teacher can take out the cookie dough roll, slice the cookies, slam the oven door shut… tada, no one ever needs to be more than 15 minutes away from warm home baked cookies. Without having to mess up their own kitchen! And isn’t a nice little cookie a sweet reason for everyone to stay a little longer at the dinner table?
Besides the holidays, any time of the year is a good time for cookies and a great time for a cookie gift. On days you find yourself in a flour dusted cloud making any kind of cookie dough, always make a extra batch to roll up and toss in the freezer, it doesn’t really take much longer, but saves you much time in the long run. And it can always be packaged with a nice outer layer of wrapping to make a special gift.
Your children can help too:
The kids will soon be on holiday break. . . and making cookies is a great way to keep them busy one afternoon. They love being involved and cookie making for their friends and family is definitely a special treat. For this recipe, kids can:
Measure all the ingredients in advance
Crack the eggs (teach them how and teach them good hand washing too)
Taste the chocolate chips to make sure they are perfect (very important)
Stir the dough
Form the rolls to be wrapped in wax paper
Create or draw the labels to go on the rolls kids are very talented at that sort of thing
For 6 rolls (one for you and one for me and one for the neighbor…)
- 24 ounces good quality chocolate chips (milk or dark, mix and match what ever you are in the mood for)
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (6 sticks) room temperature butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 4 eggs (from happy organic chickens)
1. In a bowl mix the chocolate, flour, salt and baking soda.
2. In your favorite cookie making bowl, mix the butter and the 2 sugars, then have your kids vigorously mix in the eggs until they are tuckered out and it is all well combined. Fold in the flour and chocolate.
3. Pull off a few large pieces of wax or parchment paper. Along the bottom of the short edge put a “roll” of cookie dough, ( You can use an ice cream scoop to do this). Tightly roll up the paper so you have a roll of cookie dough. Wrap it in foil and label it with the baking directions. It will last at least 3 months in the freezer.
Cookie baking directions (to go on the gift labels):
1. Preheat your oven to 350
2. Do not defrost the cookie dough
3. Thinly slice your cookie roll with a serrated knife. Put on a buttered cookie sheet, keeping a good distance between each cookie as they do spread. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.