Cozy Apricot Crumble Piekathypatalsky
This Cozy Apricot Crumble Pie is a sticky sweet departure from the traditional summer fruit pies like peach, cherry or blueberry. It’s ooey, gooey and just a lil bit cozy. Walnut spice crumble on top. I didn’t slice this pie. I scooped it. Eat it with a spoon. In a bowl. Cozy. You don’t hear about “Apricot Pie” all that often. Apricot jam, yes. Grilled apricots, sure. But pie? Well I had a fruit basket full of apricots so I experimented. Here’s what I discovered when I made this new creation!..
At first I suspected that apricots in a pie would be very similar to peaches. But I found that baked apricots really cook up nothing like peaches. Apricots don’t have the juice that peaches have. They are actually a very dry fruit in comparison to peaches or nectarines. I found that when apricots bake they become very sticky and almost mushy in a gooey sort of way. Perfect for sticky pastry fillings or tarts. But a juicy pie?
All in all, I found that apricots for pie should be treated more like cherries than peaches.
There are a few tips to apricot pie success:
* add enough liquid. Be sure to add enough liquid to your filling since apricots are not incredibly juicy. You don’t want dry pie filling.
* add enough sugar. Apricots are actually quite muted in their sweetness. So for a sweet dessert pie you’ll certainly want to add enough sugar. And apricots even bake up slightly tart and sour – so you’ll need sugar to counteract that flavor as well.
* ripe apricots are a must. If your apricots are a bit hard and dry – not ripe – they will bake up incredibly bitter, sour and dry.
* Crumble or tart? Either will work. Apricots caramelize very well. They get sticky and gooey. So the actually work very well in a tart. But apricot filling did have a pleasant velvety texture that I loved.
Ready to try my apricot crumble pie? Here’s my recipe!..
Cozy Apricot Crumble Pie
vegan, makes one pie
1 vegan pie crust bottom (recipe here)
walnut spice crumble top:
1/2 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance), chopped into cubes
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 tsp cinnamon + 1/4 tsp nutmeg +dash cayenne
3 1/2 cups ripe apricots, de-pitted & sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup maple or agave syrup
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
2-3 Tbsp corn starch OR arrowroot powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix together your crumble mix. Set aside.
3. Fold together your filling in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
4. Prep your vegan pie crust – or store bought crust.
5. Add the filling to the crust and top with crumble.
6. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes. Cool.