Cool, gloomy, fall and winter days call for giant bowls of cozy soup to be served at lunch and dinnertime. Creamy soups, that sit mellow in your bowl, opaque in tone, rich and thick in texture, are especially comforting. So if you love and crave creamy seasonal soups, but are looking for an easy (delicious!) way to cut back on the fat and calories – try this simple secret ingredient soup trick..
Creamy soup without the cream is easy! Just use cauliflower! Instead of blending in lots of rich cream, simply do this:
1. Roughly chop a cauliflower, removing the stem, leaves and any tough stalks.
2. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add a pinch of salt.
3. Toss in the cauliflower and boil until tender – breakable with a fork.
4. Drain the boiling water.
5. To a high-speed blender or a food processor, add the cauliflower and any clear soup broth (like mushroom broth or basic vegetable broth.) Blend until smooth and silky. Select low-sodium broth if you are watching your sodium intake.
6. Next you can add in whatever ingredients and flavor accents you would like to feature. A few ideas:
* creamy broccoli soup
* creamy sweet potato or butternut squash soup (try chipotle spice to accent!)
* creamy mushroom soup (shown above, with an optional splash of soy milk on top)
* creamy carrot soup (try ginger accents!)
* creamy corn soup
* creamy parsnip soup (add in a baked apple for some sweetness!)
Ready to give it a try? Check out this recipe for No-Cream of Mushroom Soup on Healthy. Happy. Life. to test out this delicious technique!
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.
More on Family Kitchen: