This vegan Creamy Pumpkin Spice Maple Rice Porridge is warm and comforting – a perfect bowl for a sweetly-kissed breakfast or hearty dessert. Vanilla, maple and cinnamon spice flavors accent. Tender raisins and cashews dot this porridge. Perfect recipe for using up leftover plain rice – white or brown. Easy to customize based on your consistency preferences – make it thick and creamy or thin and moist. It’s rice pudding meets pumpkin pie in this holiday-approved bowl!..
Creamy Pumpkin Spice Maple Rice Porridge
vegan, makes 5 1/2 cups
4 cups pre-cooked rice* (unseasoned, salt optional – can add more if needed)
*use any variety from white to brown, basmati or jasmine (white jasmine rice shown)
3-5 Tbsp grade B maple syrup
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 cup soy or rice milk (for a richer porridge, sub some or all with coconut milk)
1/2 cup cashews, raw
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp vanilla extract, real
1/4 cup raisins
optional: 1 Tbsp vegan butter
* drizzle of maple syrup
* creamy liquid – I like adding a splash of coconut milk. But for a lighter version simply add more soy or rice milk
1. Add the pumpkin, soy milk, salt, vanilla, and spice (and optional vegan butter) to a soup pot over med-high heat. Stir and combine until the mixture starts to steam and slightly bubble.
2. Reduce heat to medium and fold in the rice, raisins and cashews.
3. Add the maple syrup to taste. Start with 3 Tbsp and add more if needed. Adjust spices and salt as well.
4. Continue to simmer the porridge – folding gently until the porridge thickens to your desired consistency.
5. Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup over top and a splash of coconut milk.