mmmm brownies and ice cream. Delish!
Brownie Bowl Sundaes
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart coffee or vanilla ice cream
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, cashews, or other nuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
- Whipped cream, for serving
To make the brownies, preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan.
Combine the chocolate and butter in a large stainless-steel bowl. Bring about 1 inch of water to a bare simmer in a large skillet or shallow saucepan, and set the bowl of chocolate mixture in it. Stir gently until the mixture is melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
Add the sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt to the cooled chocolate mixture and mix until well blended. Add the flour and mix gently just until incorporated. Scrape the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake until a skewer inserted halfway between the edge of the pan and the center comes out only slightly moist with a few crumbs attached, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack, and then cut into 6 equal portions.
To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted, 4 to 5 minutes.
To assemble, break each brownie into large chunks and place in a serving bowl or goblet. Add a scoop or two of the ice cream and spoon on some of the sauce, nuts, and whipped cream. Serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from Burger Parties: Recipes from Sutter Home Winery’s Build a Better Burger Contest by James McNair and Jeffrey Starr, copyright © 2010. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
Photography by Dan Mills, copyright © 2010 Sutter Home Family Vineyards