A refreshing summer dish from Ricky Lauren
For the Dressing
- 1 3/4 pounds mangos, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
For the Salad
- 1 head green-leaf lettuce, leaves separated and washed
- 1 head red-leaf lettuce, leaves separated and washed
- 1 chicken breast, roasted and cooled
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1 papaya, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup roasted macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup raisins
To make the dressing: Puree the mangos, vinegar, mustard, and curry powder together in a blender or food processor. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in the oil and honey.
To make the salad: Arrange the lettuce leaves around a large serving platter. Remove the skin from the chicken and cut the meat off the bones; slice the chicken very thinly. Arrange the chicken, mango, papaya, peppers, nuts, water chestnuts, and raisins “like the rays of the sun” around the platter.
Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
Excerpted from The Hamptons: Food, Family, and History by Ricky Lauren. Copyright Wiley, April 2012. Used with permission.