Sweet Potato Soup
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili, minced
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, ground
- 2 pounds sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 6 oz evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 4 crusty loaves of bread
Spray a large saucepan with oil and heat.
Cook onion over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until soft.
Add garlic, chili and ground cilantro, cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add sweet potato and chicken or vegetable stock.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes, until sweet potato is tender.
Cool slightly and pur’e in a blender until smooth.
Return to the saucepan, add milk and reheat gently.
Stir through cilantro and garnish with extra whole leaves if desired.
- Slice the top off the loaves. Scoop out chunks of bread from the inside to make a well, but leave a small amount attached to the crust. Bake bread in a preheated 415° oven for 5-7 minutes until the crust is crisp.
- Place bread on serving plates, ladle soup into them, and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
- Arrange bread “lid” and bread chunks around the cob, as soft croutons. Eat the bread “bowl” after the soup.