Zigzag Chicken Skewers
Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free
- 2 cups (2-3) chicken breasts
- 4/5 cup Greek Haloumi cheese, cut into 24 cubes (you can substitute Feta)
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1 inch squares
- Oregano or sage leaves (halved if large)
- 6-8 wooden or metal skewers
If you are using wooden skewers, soak in cold water for 30 minutes (prevents them burning under the grill). Cut tenderloins from chicken. Slice chicken in half lengthways and then slice each half into three long strips. For each skewer, thread the end of a piece of chicken on, then a piece of pepper, then a haloumi (or feta) square and an herb leaf.
Wrap the chicken over the top of the herb and thread onto the skewer. Repeat once or twice more for each skewer, continuing the zigzag pattern.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat, cook skewers for 2-3 minutes each side until chicken is cooked and haloumi is golden.
Serve warm with lemon wedges.
- These chicken skewers can be prepared in advance and then kept in the fridge, covered in plastic wrap, for a few hours before cooking.