Ditch the Campfire with These Homemade S'mores Bars!Sheri Silver
You can keep your cookies ‘n’ cream.
PB&J? No thanks.
But s’mores? Now that’s a flavor combination that I’m helpless to resist. Whether it’s the classic camping treat or folded into ice cream or baked into a pie, if it’s s’mores? I’m in.
And these bars are possibly my very favorite way to eat them.
The cookie base is a cross between a graham cracker and a blondie. And the marshmallow fluff/chocolate chunk filling is sheer perfection.
These are perfect when they’re warm out of the oven, just like a proper s’mores, all melty and gooey. But they’re just as delicious after a stay in the fridge, which makes them a perfect take-along for all of your outdoor adventures — camping or otherwise!
adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 1/3 c. flour
3/4 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 king-sized Hershey bar (approx. 7 oz.), broken into pieces
1 1/2 c. marshmallow creme (like Fluff)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8″ square pan.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars till light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat till blended. Add flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt, and mix on low speed till just combined.
3. Press half of dough into your prepared pan. Carefully turn the square out onto a piece of wax or parchment paper; set aside. Press the remaining dough into the pan. Space chocolate pieces evenly over the top. Dollop spoonfuls of marshmallow creme over the chocolate and spread to cover completely.
4. Take your reserved dough square and place gently over the marshmallow creme. Using your fingers, a knife, or an angled spatula, spread dough gently out toward the edges of the pan.
5. Bake 30-35 minutes, or till golden brown. Cool completely and cut into 16 squares.