Easy Cheezy Pasta and Peas has long been one of my favorite recipes for kids. And really for adults too! This recipe is a great go-to pasta dish for the back to school season. It’s something I always pull out of my hat when I’m cooking for kids. They love it! Probably because it looks, smells and tastes like traditional Mac ‘n Cheese. But it’s actually hiding a healthy secret…
..This stuff is vegan! Dairy-free. Healthier for all, yet still delicious.
And the best part for mom and dad is that this entire dish can be prepared in under 15 minutes. Really! Perfect for an easy dinner, after-school bite or even a school lunch. Since there is actually no dairy in this recipe – it could easily keep in a ice-packed lunchbox til noon. Serve warm or cold! This cozy comfort food bowl will make them feel good all day long! Plus the peas add a nice boost of fiber, sweetness and veggie protein!..
Cheezy Vegan Kids Pasta and Peas
vegan, makes about 5 cups pasta
1 box of kid-sized pasta – 8 ounces dry
*I used a gluten free corn based tube pasta, you can use anything small
splash of EVOO
2 Tbsp vegan butter OR 2 Tbsp EVOO + 1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp garlic paste
1/2 – 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
2 Tbsp 21-seasoning blend (like Mrs Dash, salt-free)
salt/pepper to taste
optional: 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar for a bright accent
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta. Cook for about 6-8 minutes (or as on box). During last minute, add in the frozen peas. I like to do this in a strainer so that they don’t get mixed up with the pasta just yet – but still cook through.
2. Drain pasta and set aside cooked peas.
3. Add pasta to a large mixing bowl and add in a splash of EVOO – toss well.
4. Next, add in either more EVOO or the vegan butter. Toss until well distributed.
5. Add in the garlic and toss.
6. Lastly, add in the spices and nutritional yeast. You can add more nutritional yeast if you’d like – depending on how savory and cheezy you want it. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Lastly, fold in the peas. Serve warm or stick in fridge until ready for use.
You can also try my creamier, cheezier version of this dish: Cheez, Peas & Pasta
Looking for more vegan recipes? Check out these 19 great ideas!