I whipped up a tall blended batch of my Fake-Out Cheese Sauce for some classic (fake-out) Mac and Cheese. Creamy and rich, this cheesy sauce hides a healthy secret. Protein, fiber and plenty of nutrients. But this sassy sauce is for more than just smothering plump curls of macaroni. And since this recipe makes 5 cups of sauce, you can have your mac and have a little cheesy fun on the side. Get my recipe and see how I use it!..
I made this for my Fake-Out Mac ‘n Cheese – but I always have leftover sauce. And really, I just look at this stuff and my mind starts thinking of melty Velveeta, Cheez Whiz and that electric orange sauce you find on cheesy nachos at a ballpark. Well this “cheese” sauce it savory rich, cheesy tasting but amazingly dairy-free. Vegan. and pretty darn healthy in comparison.
5 Uses for my Fake-Out Cheese Sauce
1. Cheesy Nachos – Ballpark Style
Pour over top tortilla chips and stud with pickled jalapenos and black olives. Pinch of fresh cilantro.
2. Fake-Out Cheese Dip
Simply simmer this sauce on your stove top until ready to be served. Dip warm pita bread, veggie sticks, tasted french bread cubes, rice chips and more into this savory sauce.
3. Cheesy Salsa
Gently fold into chunky salsa for a swirled cheesy salsa dip. Ah, memories of that Velveeta cheese microwaved salsa are swirling in my head.
4. Chili Cheese Dogs
Add this luscious silky sauce over top a few soy dogs with veggie salsa for the ultimate smothered chili cheese dog. Vegan style!
5. Fake-Out Special Sauce for Burgers
Smother your healthy veggie burgers in this decadent orange sauce. Create your own healthy-makeover “Big Mac” by using veggie burgers, this “special sauce” a few veggie toppings and maybe even a healthy chocolate shake to go with it.
6. Oh, and of course: Vegan Fake-Out Mac and Cheese!
Fake-Out Cheese Sauce
vegan, makes 5 cups
3/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 can cannellini beans, drained (about 1 1/2 cups)
2-3 Tbsp tamari (replaces added salt)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 Tbsp mustard powder
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp fine pepper
1 cup mashed sweet potato OR 1/2 cup instant mashed potato (unflavored) + 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance) softened
1-2 Tbsp agave syrup
2 Tbsp tahini (adds a tang to the sauce – just as real cheese would)
Last step: thin out to desired thickness with soy milk, soy creamer or water
1. Bake your sweet potato – if using that method.
2. Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. I used my Vitamix. Blend on low and increase gradually until mixture becomes smooth.
3. You can do a taste test and adjust spices, sweetness. Lastly, thin out the sauce to your desired thickness using soy milk, soy creamer or water. I added in a splash of soy creamer.
4. If serving with pasta, add directly to hot, just drained pasta and the pasta will heat the sauce. Otherwise, you can simmer the sauce on your stove top until ready to be served or used in a recipe. Simmering the sauce is great if using for a cheesy dip or fondue.