Here are my pepper recipe favorites. Black pepper perks up almost any dish. And I must say – I adore fresh cracked black pepper on my food. There is always a pepper-grinder at my dinner table. And to celebrate my love of such a simple – yet genius – ingredient, I want to share two of my favorite pep-inspired recipes with you. Cracked-Pepper Biscuits and Lemon-Pepper Tempeh Cubes!..
First up are my Pepper and Lemon Tempeh Cubes are the perfect protein-rich topping to your salad, pasta or even soup!
I love adding heaping amounts of pepper to my tempeh cubes – and a splash of lemon makes these cubes zesty and fun. Tempeh is a trendy food that is made from fermented soy beans. It is similar to tofu – since it is made from soy – but it is less processed and also contains healthy enzymes due to the fermentation process. Tempeh has a sturdy texture and a bitter-sweet taste. It is more flavorful than tofu – and since it is not “mushy” like tofu can be - kids may be more welcoming towards it. I call these cubes – croutons – since they are in the shape of a cube and have crispy flavorful edges. Healthy Indeed. Check out why this pepper tempeh is so good for you.
My other fave recipe is a simple biscuits recipe infused with fresh cracked black pepper: Cracked Pepper Biscuits. It uses coconut oil instead of butter so these biscuits have a tender sassy sweet flavor I crave.
Get the pepper recipes below!..
Pepper Lemon Tempeh Cubes
vegan, makes about 24 cubes
8 oz. tempeh, cubed
1 1/2 tsp maple syrup + 3 tsp water
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
1 lemon, zested
3/4 -1 tsp fine pepper
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
fresh pepper & pinch of salt to taste
1. Add oil to pan, over high heat.
2. Add tempeh. Add maple syrup, water and lemon juice. Coat tempeh in pan liquid. Saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add a heavy hand of fine black pepper to all sides of tempeh. Grate lemon zest on top of tempeh. Toss tempeh in pan for another minute.
4. Reduce heat, add vinegar slowly to deglaze the pan.
5. Remove from heat, toss tempeh in a pinch of salt and a few grinds of fresh black pepper. Eat warm as is, or add to salads, pasta or other dishes
Cracked Pepper Biscuits more photos here
Sea Salt ‘n Cracked Pepper Spelt Biscuits
vegan, makes 10
2 cups spelt flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, room temperature
3/4 cup warm water
1 Tbsp agave syrup
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper (fine)
1/2 tsp thick ground cracked pepper (hand grinder pepper mill)
coconut oil glaze
kosher salt or coarse sea salt
thick cut cracked black pepper (hand grinder pepper mill)
*tools: I use a simple juice glass to cut my circle biscuits.
1. Set up a baking sheet with parchment paper and a light olive oil spray. Set aside.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add coconut oil, agave syrup and warm water. Mix until a dough is formed. Add more flour if desired.
3. Knead on floured surface for 2 minutes. Begin using your fingers to press out the dough into a 3/4 inch thick circle.
4. Brush rolled out biscuit dough with coconut oil. Sprinkle a bit of coarse salt and thick cut/ground black cracked pepper.
5. Cut out 2-3 inch wide circle biscuits. Brush the sides of the biscuits with coconut oil.
6. Bake in a preheated to 375 degree oven for 9 minutes. Serve warm. Eat in a few days or freeze for later use.