Have a cozy French Toast breakfast – with a not-so-traditional twist. This recipe is vegan. But the flavors and textures are classic – just as you crave them to be. Warm buttery, crisp edges meet a spongy inner layer of cinnamon spice bliss. And can you believe I forgot to drizzle the rich maple syrup over top before snapping these photos? Well, I’m sure you won’t make the same mistake. Get my recipe for this Fluffy Maple French Toast. A classic recipe, gone vegan…
You might think that Vegan French Toast is a ridiculous notion. Like saying Fat Free Chocolate, Dairy Free Whipped Cream or Cheeseless Pizza. But sometimes you have to challenge your notion of what is ‘traditional’ – try something new. So egg and dairy-free French Toast is your challenge today!
French toast isn’t all about the eggs. Or the dairy. It’s about the process. Soaking bread in a rich, milky mixture – then sauteing it on a sizzling skillet. It is also about the ending texture and taste. Fluffy, spongy and moist on the inside – crisp and sweet on the outside. Crisp, slightly charred edges. Cinnamon spice flavors throughout.
Here is my recipe for classic french toast – gone vegan.
Fluffy Maple Vegan French Toast
makes 6 slices
6 slices day-old sandwich bread – thick sliced works best
1 3/4 cups soy milk
3 Tbsp Ener-G Egg Replacer
2 Tbsp maple syrup
3/4 tsp cinnamon
dash of vanilla spice – or 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
for skillet: 3 Tbsp vegan butter + extra drizzle of maple (or agave) syrup over top toast
tip: for extra rich french toast, sub half the soy milk with soy creamer or coconut milk. If you are doing coconut milk – you can toss in a handful of coconut flakes as well.
1. Heat non-stick skillet.
2. Whisk together all the ingredients very well – except the vegan butter and bread.
3. When skillet is hot, drop 1-2 tbsp of vegan butter.
4. Quickly soak your bread in liquid. Flip. And add to skillet.
5. Repeat until about 2-3 slices are in pan. Cook about 2 minutes on each side. Add an extra sprinkle of cinnamon and drizzle or syrup on each slice while it cooks.
6. Remove with large spatula. Cool for a few minutes before serving.