Serving Size: Serves 5
Skill level: Easy
Cook time: 5 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
- Canola oil, for deep-frying
- 1/2 serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted
1. Pour enough oil into a medium pot so that the oil comes two-thirds up the sides. Heat to 350 °F.
2. While the oil is heating, whisk together the serrano, honey, red wine vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil in a bowl large enough to toss all the Brussels sprouts. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep the bowl near the stovetop.
3. Fry the Brussels sprouts until the edges begin to curl and brown, about 2–3 minutes. Carefully add the capers and stand back, because they tend to splatter a bit. Fry for another minute. Remove the Brussels sprouts and the capers directly to the bowl with the vinaigrette. Toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste, and toss in the toasted walnuts.
Excerpted with permission from The Chew: Food. Life. Fun. by ABC’s The Chew. Copyright 2012 Hyperion/ABC. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold. All Rights Reserved.