There is a famous presidential story that goes along with one of the most beloved US presidents ever. President Lincoln reportedly adored gingerbread cookies. The ones shaped like little men in fact. And a sweet historical story goes along with this fact.
Since the movie Lincoln is nominated for several Oscars and other cinema awards this awards season, you have the perfect excuse to head into your kitchen and bake up some ginger sweetness in presidential fashion. Get the Lincoln gingerbread story and a few recipe options..
The story goes – via Lincoln’s Lunch..
“When we lived in Indiana,” Lincoln said, “once in a while my mother used to get some sorghum and ginger and make some gingerbread. It wasn’t often and it was our biggest treat. One day I smelled the gingerbread and came into the house to get my share while it was still hot. My mother had baked me three gingerbread men. I took them out under a hickory tree to eat them. There was a family near us poorer than we were and their boy came along as I sat down. Abe,’ he said, gimme a man.’ I gave him one. He crammed it into his mouth in two bites and looked at me while I was biting the legs off my first one. Abe, gimme that other’n.’ I wanted it myself, but I gave it to him and as it followed the first, I said to him, You seem to like gingerbread.’ Abe,’ he said, I don’t s’pose anybody on earth likes gingerbread better’n I do — and gets less’n I do…’”
Gingerbread dessert recipe options:
* gluten-free gingerbread men
* vegan gingerbread men, recipe on PPK
* “skinny” gingerbread men (traditional recipe with a skinny twist)
* Try the chewy, tender ginger molasses cookie recipe pictured above, on Healthy Happy Life
* ..and finally, gingerbread lovers can click through these photos and recipes of 10 ways to make gingerbread
Watch it! And check out the movie Lincoln, in theaters now! – 6 Reasons to go see Lincoln
More on Family Kitchen:
* 21 Dreamy Vegan Cupcake Recipes
* 21 Wellness-Infused Recipes for Flu Season!
* 30 Bowls for Healthy Winter Eating
* 23 Nut Butter lovers’ Recipes
* 31 Healthy Foods to Add to Your Diet in 2013
* Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Rice Bars
* 7 Healthy Beverages to Choose Today
* Simple Sweet Green Juice Recipe