Girl Dies at School from Peanut Exposure in VirginiaOle & Shaina Olmanson
A 7-year-old girl died Monday after being exposed to peanuts at school. The girl, Ammira Johnson, had a severe peanut allergy that administrators at the school had been made aware of. Yet Hopkins Road Elementary School in Chesterfield County, Virginia had declined an EpiPen to be left at the school for emergencies. Instead, Ammira’s action plan at school was that she be given Benadryl for a reaction. Still, that’s not the only way the school failed this young child and her family.
During an interview with CBS 6, “At 2:30 they called my wife and said somebody needed to pick Ammaria up because her tongue was swelling. My wife told them to call 911.” If a child is having a severe allergic reaction, why wouldn’t the school call 911 first? Laura Pendelton, Ammira’s mother, had her meeting with school officials to discuss what happened cancelled, which leaves the grieving mother wondering how her daughter managed to have access to and to then consume a peanut or peanut product in the first place.
I have a hard time understanding how the school system could have failed this little girl so severely. Sure, exposure happens, but then to have refused the EpiPen, to not have followed the procedure in place that they *had* agreed to and then to not call 911 when a student has a severe medical reaction is just gross neglect on the part of the school.
Looking for a way to make school safer for children with severe peanut and tree nut allergies? Here are a few “safe” candies and lunch ideas you can send to school, as well as more information about peanut allergies.
More on Family Kitchen:
5 Tree-Nut and Peanut-Free Lunches for School
Out of the Lunch Box: 5 Peanut-Free Lunches from Weelicious
Peanut and Tree-Nut Free Halloween Candy
When to Introduce Allergenic Foods Like Peanuts to Your Child
Don’t miss the latest from Family Kitchen – Like Us on Facebook!