Grilled Chile BurritoNicole Presley
At the beginning of the year I decided to start a vegetable garden in my front yard. I went to Target and grabbed all my supplies soil, planters, potting gloves, soil shovels…you get the picture. By early March, I had a nice selection of vegetables and chiles planted. Since then, I have been watering and tending to my garden, waiting to reap the benefits of my delicious efforts.
The other day I was out shopping for a bathing suit and sunscreen for me and my son when I got a phone call from my fiance. I answered the phone, “Hello.” His first question: “Where are you?” I, of course, said “Target! Where else? I told you I was going to buy a bathing suit.” He then said, “Oh great! I was just calling to tell you that the chiles in the garden are big and we should grill them today. I want a grilled burrito.” I laughed and responded, “I’m glad you already decided what we should do with my chiles, but now that you mention it…. that does sound like a good idea. Okay, well I’m here at Target so I’ll just pick up everything we need for our burritos. Good thing you caught me before I left.” Then he said sarcastically, “Yeah, like you ever make a 20 minute run to Target. I’ll see you in a few hours. I should be hungry by then.”
I picked up tortillas, cheese, steak, sour cream, and drinks. We made a simple, fast dinner that night, all on the grill. He was happy, I was especially happy with my fresh chiles from the garden, and how fast dinner came together (with the end result in a delicious burrito!). Plus, it gave me plenty of time to throw on my new bathing suit and go for a night swim.
Grilled Chile Burrito 1 of 6
This delicious burrito was made entirely on the grill. I had to snap a photo of the inside before I rolled it up into a burrito.
Oiled Chiles 2 of 6
Brush the chiles with vegetable oil and sprinkle with salt. Cut your cheese slices and place them on the side.
On The Grill 3 of 6
Place the chiles along with your steak on the grill and cook until completely done.
Sliced Down The Front 4 of 6
Once chiles/or peppers are charred, remove from grill and with a knife slice down the front. Make sure to just cut the top layer of the chile and not to go through to the other side.
Drop In The Cheese 5 of 6
Carefully place a piece of cheese into the center of the chile.
Cheesy Grill 6 of 6
Place chiles stuffed with cheese back on the grill for a few minutes to allow cheese to melt.
Ingredients for Grilled Chile Burrito Recipe:
- 1 – tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 6 – anaheim chiles (any pepper of your choice will work- bell pepper, jalapeno, or poblano)
- 6 – 2 inch pieces of jack cheese
- steak (gilled and cut into strips)
- 6 – flour tortilla
- refried beans (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Brush peppers with vegetable oil.
- Then sprinkle peppers with salt. Set to the side.
- Heat up bar-b-que grill.
- Cut cheese and set to the side.
- Place chiles on bar-b-que and grill on each side for about 10 minutes until chile is completely charred and a bit limp.
- While chiles are grilling throw your steak onto the grill as well and cook on each side for about 15 minutes or until completely cooked to your liking.
- Once chiles are cooked / charred remove them from the grill and with a small pairing knife make a slit down the front of the chile and insert a piece of cheese into the middle.
- Then place the chiles back on the grill with the slit facing up for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Remove chiles stuffed with cheese and steak off the grill and set to the side.
- Place tortillas on the grill to heat, or if your bar-b-que comes with a side burner you can also heat there.
- Place a stuffed chile into the warmed tortilla and a few strips of steak, and you will officially have one of the tastiest burritos ever!
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.
MORE ON BABBLE
24 ooey, gooey mac ‘n’ cheese recipes
The 25 healthiest foods for under $1
9 ways to turn your picky eater into a little foodie
10 tasty mug cakes you can make in under 10 minutes
10 ways to recreate Chinese takeout at home