Just in time for Cinco de Mayo, a new cookbook that spans three generations! Muy Beuno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor has a variety of recipes to help you get your fiesta dinner started. Try their authentic guacamole recipe ahead and enter to win a copy of the cookbook!..
From the authors: We love avocados and although there are many ways of preparing them our favorite is a pure and simple guacamole. Stay away from powders or imitation anything on this recipe and the end result will be a delicious combination of seven simple ingredients. Chunks of avocado, onions, and tomatoes make a beautiful, delicious presentation, so be careful not to over mash.
4 ripe avocados
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup minced white onion
1 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
1 tablespoon salt
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Cut the avocado in half. Twist to pull apart and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh. Place in a
medium bowl and mash the avocado with a fork leaving some chunks.
Add the garlic, onion, jalapeño (optional), salt, and tomato. Squeeze the lime juice over all the ingredients and give everything a gentle stir, but don’t overdo it.
Variation:If you own a molcajete (lavastone mortar), using the tejolote (lavastone pestle) grind the garlic, onion, jalapeno, and salt until all the ingredients are well ground. Dice the avocados and gently fold into the garliconionchile paste, keeping the avocados fairly intact. Add tomatoes and squeeze the lime juice over the avocado and gently stir until the mixture is chunky. Taste and add salt, if necessary. Serve immediately, directly from the molcajete (or bowl), with tortilla chips.
Recipe from Muy Bueno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor by Yvette Marquez Sharpnack, Veronica GonzalezSmith and Evangelina Soza
Permissions: Reprinted Courtesy of Hippocrene Books, Inc.
Photo credit: Jeanine Thurston
Prize: (1) copy of Muy Beuno Cookbook
To Enter The Giveaway:
1. To enter, leave a comment below, on this blog post – telling us about your favorite Cinco de Mayo recipe! You may enter below via facebook widget comments or Babble comments. Email address is required for prize acceptance.
2. Only 1 entry per person is allowed.
3. This Giveaway entry period starts on Thursday, April 25th at 10:00:01 AM EST and ends on Tuesday, April 30th at 11:59:59 PM EST.
4. We will choose a potential winner in a random drawing on April 30th and send notice to that person via email. If you are a potential winner but fail to claim your prize within 10 days of us sending you notice or are otherwise in non-compliance with the Giveaway rules, then we will choose an alternate winner.
5. We will announce winner here on or about Friday May 3rd at 12:00 PM EST.
6. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Odds will depend on the number of eligible entries See the complete general rules and eligibility requirements that apply to all Giveaways here.
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life. Get Kathy’s book, 365 Vegan Smoothies: Boost Your Health With a Rainbow of Fruits and Veggies, available on Amazon. Follow Kathy on Instagram. And Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter.
More on Family Kitchen: