During the peak of summer when heirloom tomatoes are at their best, why get complicated? Heirlooms, olive oil, and garden fresh herbs are all you need for a delicious summer salad. The taste is incredible and the wide variety of colors from green to yellow and purple will add life to your table. This dish is perfect for a light dinner, lunch or appetizer.
Heiroom Tomato Summer Salad:
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes of varying colors, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly cracked black peppercorns
- sliced pecorino romano cheese (optional)
Core tomatoes using paring knife and slice thinly. Remove basil and thyme leaves from herb stems and chop. Place tomatoes in a bowl and add olive oil and sprinkle with herbs. Add sea salt and pepper. Serve with sliced romano cheese. Enjoy with a tall glass of homemade iced tea or a dry white wine.
From pesto to soups: 5 Kale Recipes for Kids!