Highland Games HummusSara O'Donnell
Thanks to Disney Magic of Healthy Living for sponsoring this post. Watch their fun-for-the-whole-family new video series Dishes Inspired by Disney and click here to get more healthy, magical recipes inspired by your favorite Disney movies.
In the movie, Brave, the firstborn sons of rival clans compete in the Highland Games for Princess Merida’s hand in marriage. But Merida, defies the custom by expressing her desire to not be betrothed. Merida announces she is eligible to compete for her own hand as the first-born of her clan. Princess Merida defeats each of her suitors in an archery contest, winning the victory of being able to choose her own destiny.
Making hummus is a little like choosing your own destiny the way Merida does. You can start with a base of garbozo beans, or edamame as we have here (because of the green color, of course!) and add just about any flavorings you choose to make a smooth, creamy and nutritious dip and sandwich spread.
Highland Games Hummus
1 cup cooked and shelled edamame
1/4 cup tahini
juice of 1 lemon (2-3 tablespoons)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 – 1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder or similar
1/2 head roasted garlic (5-6 cloves)
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
water from boiling edamamme, if needed for consistency
1. Preheat oven to 400(F).
2. Cut 1/4″ from top of head of garlic.
3. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
5. Allow to cool and squeeze out individual cloves.
6. Boil water and cook edamame for 5-7 minutes.
7. Shell cooked edamame, removing pod, and for smoother hummus, also remove casing from bean.
8. In a blender, combine edamame, tahini, roasted garlic cloves, cumin, chili powder and soy sauce.
9. Pulse until ingredients begin to come together.
10. Stream in olive oil.
11. Stream in edamame water as needed for smoothness.
12. Cover and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Makes about 2 cups hummus. Enjoy with fresh vegetables and multigrain crackers.
The Mickey Check is a tool that makes it easier to identify nutritious choices based on Disney Nutrition Guidelines.
This recipe was inspired by the video for Merida’s Brave Bear Bento Box from Disney’s new series Dishes Inspired by Disney. Check out the video below:
For the full recipes for Merida’s Brave Bear Bento Box, visit Spoonful!