Home Remedy: 24-Hour DetoxBrooke McLay
Call it crazy, call it clever. Home remedies don’t always work, but every now and then you find one that meets your needs with serious style. Earlier in the week, I had a little pang just under my right ribs, a feeling I’ve long understood was a gall bladder attack. But this one was different. For three days straight, my poor little gall bladder was spasming and fluttering. I looked it up online and learned from several forums that this sensation can be the sign of gallstones. And if you’re in serious pain with symptoms like these, you should immediately head to the urgent care and get seen by a doctor.
But my pain was more of a dull whisper, and so I hunted down the old midwife cure for a 24-hour liver & gallbladder detox to see if I could nix the fluttery feeling under my rib.
I’ve used this detox before and have always been happy with the outcome. Any gallbladder pains are usually quickly alleviated, and I feel like I give my body a bit of a fresh eating start.
To prep for this cleanse, I would suggest eating very lightly in the morning, and pushing your liquids. You don’t want to be thirsty all night, putting your body under more duress than it already is enduring with Epsom flushes and lack of food. That said, this is a relatively simple cleanse. One for adults, only. But, one that may help you kick out the sluggish digestive habits that have been keeping you back from healthy eating in 2012.
As for my fluttery feeling, this afternoon, after following the below detox to a “t” I resumed a vegetarian diet, pushed liquids as often as possible, and was incredibly delighted to discover the gallbladder flutters had ceased. Hurrah for home remedies!
24-Hour Liver & Gallbladder Detox
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Epsom salt
- 4 cups water
- Stop eating and drinking. Whisk the Epsom Salt with 1 liter the water. Set aside or chill in the fridge.
- Drink one cup of saltwater. (It tastes a little bitter, but is otherwise no too terrible).
- Drink one cup of saltwater.
- Mix Olive Oil and Fresh Juice in a glass. Get ready for bed.
- Stand next to your bed. Drink the whole glass of lemon & oil (I just imagine it tastes like lemon soup). Immediately lie down on your left side and raise your right leg up to your chest. Remain in this position for 20 minutes, and sleep in this position through the night, if you can comfortably hold the position.
- Drink one cup of saltwater
- Drink the final cup of saltwater
- Drink fresh-squeezed fruit juice. Start slow.
- Eat a piece of fresh fruit.
- Eat small, light meals for the rest of the day, focussing on lightly cooked vegetarian foods if at all possible. By late afternoon you should start feeling better than ever!
Thanks to Life Events for compiling the information I followed for my own detox. This guideline was written by myself as a journal and reflects my experience only. Seek professional medical advice for any concerns you have about your gallbladder or liver before trying this detox.