Making homemade pop tarts is one of our favorite things to do. Yes, they are a treat to be sure, but we are big fan a sweet breakfast now and then. A couple of years ago I made these totally awesome heart shaped pop tarts and we adore every single bite. Now that my daughter is a little older we decided to take them a step further and make them into heart shapes with cream cheese and strawberry jelly. We also added a fun red glaze and sprinkles! Boy, were they ever delicious! We will definitely be making these pretty pockets again on Valentine’s Day.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Heart Pop Tarts
1 sheet prepared pie crust
1 cup strawberry jam
4 ounces softened cream cheese
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
Red food paste
Sprinkles as desired
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Roll out the pie crust on a floured surface. Select a heart shaped cookie cutter and cut the crust into heart shapes, re-rolling the dough as needed to use it all up. Make sure you end up with an even amount of hearts.
3. Dollop one tablespoon of jam and one tablespoon of cream cheese into the center of half the hearts. Then place a second heart shape on top of it and pinch the sides together so they are completely sealed. Use a fork to make decorative tine marks around the edges.
4. Bake the pop tarts for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow them to cool completely.
5. To glaze the pop tarts whisk the sugar, whole milk and food paste together in a bowl until very smooth. If you need to thin out the glaze a bit add a little more milk one teaspoon at a time. Drizzle the glaze on the pop tarts and sprinkle with decorations!
Read more from Kelsey on Kelsey’s blog!