Homemade Tortillas and Squash Blossom QuesadillasMacki West
I’m addicted to quesadillas. Or maybe I’m just addicted to Mexican food, and quesadillas happen to be easy to make and we always have the ingredients around the house. Except this one time. We had the cheese, the salsa and any other ingredients to go along, but we didn’t have any tortillas. I had a mild panic attack. Then, I ran to the pantry and found my trusty bag of Maseca, or instant corn masa flour. I remembered how easy it is too whip up a batch of homemade tortillas so I did just that! And guess what I found at the local farmers market today? Squash blossoms! Perfect timing for Cinco de Mayo! Squash blossom have such short season so I’m taking advantage now. Get the recipes for homemade tortillas and squash blossom quesadillas after the jump…
Homemade Tortilla Recipes
1 cup instant corn masa flour
1/8 teaspoon of salt
2/3 cup water
1. Combine masa flour salt and water. Mix for about two minutes. If dough feels dry, add more water.
2. Divide dough into 8 equal size balls.
3. Place one ball at a time between two sheet of plastic wrap and pat with your hand into a flat circle about 5-6 inches across. Peel off plastic.
4. Preheat cast iron skillet or griddle on medium high.
5. Cook one tortilla at a time for 50 seconds, then flip and cook for another 50 seconds.
For the Squash Blossom Recipe head over to cooking with my kid
Read more great recipes from Macki on Cooking With My Kid!
Follow Macki on Twitter for updates!
More on Family Kitchen:
See all Macki’s recipes on Family Kitchen