One of the great things about technology is that things like video cameras are so accessible. It makes it so easy to film videos with your kids and download them onto your computer in no time at all. I’ve done my fair share of video filming over the years and have a few tips for people looking to make great cooking videos with their children!
1) Ingredient preparation: To help a video go smoothly it is really great to have all the ingredients prepped and in bowls or measuring cups. This way the kids can just pour the ingredients into the larger bowls to cook or bake without struggling with jars and containers on camera.
2) Get comfortable: Sure, kids might not really know what is going on, but it doesn’t hurt to get them laughing and giggling for a minute or two while the camera is running. They need to see that “taping” isn’t anything out of the ordinary!
3) Lighting: Ideally, even with a handheld camera, the light in the kitchen should be shining in front of the cooks. Try to avoid standing in front of bright windows or next to floor-to-ceiling doors that might cast shadows in front of the kids and adults.
4) Choose a fun recipe: Let your kids choose the recipe they want to make. Or, let them pick out something new to try. There is no such thing as too much fun in a cooking show.
5) Leave room for error: One of the best things kids can learn early on is that cooking is fun. There is nothing wrong with flour on the countertop or a little extra salt in the batter. Recipes that leave room for a little bit of this and that are so much more fun. And, you never know, sometimes mistakes make a dish even tastier!