It’s the day o’ the Irish which means it’s time to plop that Corned Beef and Cabbage in a pot and get it cooking. If you’ve never cooked the stuff before, it may sound like a daunting task. But, cooking this traditional Irish meal couldn’t be easier. There are three quick, quicker, and quickest methods you can use for making a perfectly tender, tasty dinner just in time for your St. Patty’s Day festivities tonight.
1.SLOW COOK IT IN A CROCKPOT IN 6-8 HOURS
The simplest way to make Corned Beef and Cabbage is in your slow cooker. To Make Corned Beef In Your Crockpot:
- 1. Place your corned beef in the slow cooker with 2 (15 ounce) cans beef broth, a splash of cider vinegar, 2 chopped onions, 5 diced potatoes, 5 chopped carrots, and a head of cabbage chopped into wedges.
- 2. Cook on low for 8-9 hours.
2. COOK IT ON THE STOVETOP IN 2-3 HOURS
This method is easy and yields a moist, flavorful one-pot meal. To Cook Your Corned Beef on the Stovetop:
- 1. Place the corned beef in a large pot.
- 2. Sprinkle your spice packet on top and cover the meat with water.
- 3. Bring to a boil and then turn the oven down to a simmer.
- 4. Continue simmering the meat until tender, about 50 minutes per pound.
- 5. Add the potatoes and carrots and cook them until tender.
- 6. Toss in the cabbage and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- 7. Slice the meat across the grain and serve with the broth.
3. MICROWAVE IT IN MINUTES
This is perhaps the quickest way to cook corned beef, and it yields a piece of meat that is surprisingly more tender than you might guess. To Microwave Your Corned Beef:
- 1. Place your corned beef in an Oven Bag (the type you’d cook a turkey in) with the corned beef spice packet, a splash of orange juice or vinegar, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and a cup of water.
- 2. Tie the bag in a knot, shake it around to spread all of the ingredients throughout the bag, cut two or three small slits in the bag, then microwave it on high for 10 minutes.
- 3. Reduce your microwave power to 60% (level 5 or 6) and cook it an additional 20 minutes.
- 4. Allow the meat to stand for 30 minutes before serving.
Looking to purchase corned beef from an online retailer? Several companies offer good, organic cuts of ground beef, including Reliable Brother’s Steaks which sells teh beauiful piece of corned beef you see in the photo above.