Are you a chilaquiles fanatic? Mmmmmm, I am. I think this delicious dish could be eaten anytime of the day, even though most people enjoy it as a breakfast meal. Fried pieces of crisp corn tortilla stewed in a simmering red chile that soften the tortilla and then smothered in cheese. It holds all the flavors of an enchilada but is more bite size. Serve it with eggs, sour cream and avocado and you will be making this dish more than you would like to admit.
Ingredients for Red Chilaquiles:
- 10 – corn tortillas (cut into triangle pieces)
- 1 1/2 – cups vegetable oil
- 1/3 – cup onion (diced)
- 1 – cup red chile (click here for a delicious red chile recipe or buy canned red enchilada sauce)
- 1/4 – cup sliced black olives
- 2 – cups grated jack or pepper jack cheese
- a pinch of oregano
- 1/2 – cup crumbled queso fresco
- salt to taste
- Cut tortilla into triangles pieces.
- In a large frying pan over a medium flame add vegetable oil and allow it to get hot.
- Fry triangle pieces til crisp about 3 minutes on each side. You’ll need to do this in batches.
- Remove each batch from oil, and drain tortilla crisps on a paper towel lined plate.
- Discard most of the oil from frying pan, leave a tablespoon of oil in pan.
- Over a medium flame add onions to frying pan and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add tortilla crisps back into the pan with sauted onions and mix to combine.
- Pour red chile sauce on top of tortillas and mix till all tortilla crisps are covered in red sauce.
- Lower the flame to simmer. Then add olives to tortillas and red chile. Mix again.
- Sprinkle grated cheese and oregano on top of tortillas and cover the pan with a lid for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese fully melts.
- Sprinkle crumbled queso fresco on top.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve hot with a sunny side up egg, a side of sour cream, and avocado.
Cut Tortilla Into Triangles 1 of 1110 tortillas cut into triangle pieces. You could also tear the tortilla into pieces.
Frying The Tortillas 2 of 11Fry the tortillas in batches.
Tortilla Crisps 3 of 11Remove from oil and allow to drain.
Add The Onion 4 of 11Saute the onions.
Onion and Tortilla Crisps 5 of 11Add the tortilla crisps back to the pan.
Red Chile Sauce 6 of 11Pour the chile sauce all over tortillas
Becoming Chilaquiles 7 of 11Make sure all tortillas are covered in sauce. Lower flame to simmer.
Add Some Olives 8 of 11
Cheese 9 of 11Use either jack or pepper jack depending on your spice preference.
Put A Lid On It 10 of 11Add a lid to allow cheese to melt.
Melted To Perfection 11 of 11Next add crumbled queso fresco.