People eat eggs everyday but for an extra extraordinary breakfast, add chorizo to the equation and have a meal that some have called sublime. By adding potatoes to the mix it becomes comfort food at it’s best. This is one of the favored go-to dishes amongst Mexican households and is probably made at least 3 times a month under my roof. As a young girl I was always bewildered by chorizo. I couldn’t wrap my head around this meat that looked like a weird water balloon snake, then miraculously turned into a delicious crumbly dish. It wasn’t until I was older that I realized the fatty ground meat was packaged with spices and red chiles and stuffed into a plastic casing. I also came to recognize pork chorizo was my preference. Chorizo is offered in various types- beef, kosher, and even the vegan Soyrizo. I used pork in this recipe but on occasion I will use soyrizo instead. The choice is yours.
Chorizo Potato and Eggs 1 of 11
Already Boiled 2 of 11Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes prior to adding them to the hot oil.
Chopped Onion 3 of 11Dice onion small.
Add Onions To The Potatoes 4 of 11Once potatoes are crisp add chopped onion in.
Chorizo In Casing 5 of 11All chorizo comes in a plastic casing. Simply cut it in half and gently hold it on one end squeezing out all the insides into the pan. Discard plastic casing.
Chorizo and Potato/ Onion Mixture 6 of 11Lay the chorizo on one side of the pan next to the potato and onion.
Break It Up 7 of 11Break the chorizo up with the back of the spatula to cook. It is cooked when it becomes crumbly.
Mix The Two Mixtures Together 8 of 11Mix the chorizo and potato mixtures together. Cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Pour The Eggs On It 9 of 11Pour scrambled eggs over the potatoes and chorizo. Mix well.
Done 10 of 11Cook until eggs are fully cooked.
Chorizo Potato Egg Tacos 11 of 11Spoon chorizo potato and eggs into warmed corn tortillas for a delicious taco.
Ingredients for Chorizo Potato and Eggs:
- 2 – medium sized Idaho russet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 1/2 – tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 – teaspoon salt
- 1/2 – cup chopped onion
- 9 – ounces pork chorizo (remove casing)
- 5 – eggs
- corn or flour tortillas
- Place a small pot filled halfway with water over a medium flame bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in diced potatoes and let boil for 10 minutes. Remove from flame and drain. Set to the side.
- In a large frying pan over a medium flame add vegetable oil and allow to heat.
- Add in boiled potatoes and salt. Fry on each side for 5 minutes or until crisp.
- Add in chopped onion, and mix well. Continue frying for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the chorizo from it’s casing and add to the potato onion mixture.
With your spatula stab the chorizo to break it up. As it continues to cook it will become easier to break up. Then mix it into the potato onion mixture.
Cook for an additional 10 to 12 minutes or until crisp.
Next crack your eggs in a bowl and scramble with a fork, then pour over chorizo potato mixture.
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, mixing and combining all ingredients the entire time.
You want to make sure the eggs are well done.
- Remove from flame, and either wrap in a flour tortilla for a burrito or enjoy in a corn tortilla for a lovely breakfast taco.
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.