Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream, softened
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, then beat in egg and vanilla until combined well. Beat in flour mixture until just combined and stir in chips.
Drop dough by tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets and bake in batches in middle of oven until cookies are just set and begin to crack on top, about 12 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets on racks 1 minute and with a spatula transfer to racks to cool completely.
Once cookies are cool, smear about 1/3 cup of softened ice cream (whatever flavor you’d like) in between two cookies (making sure the underside of the bottom cookie is flat.) Once it’s stuffed, immediately wrap tightly in foil and freeze. Freeze at least five hours before serving.