Thanks to Disney Magic of Healthy Living for sponsoring this post. Watch their fun for the whole family new video series Dishes Inspired by Disney and click here to get more healthy, magical recipes inspired by your favorite Disney movies.
Today as I sat with my young son at the table cleaning and sorting through the lentils, I thought back to how my grandfather used to let me help him clean the beans when I was a little girl. He told me at a tender age that lentils were one of the finest foods you could put in your body. I took those words to heart and still hold them close today.
I try and pass on the traditions I grew up with to my son, even if it just means cleaning the beans. As my little guy picked out rocks from the pile of uncooked lentils, he looks to me and says “beans are beautiful.” I smile and hope he really does see the beauty behind the brown colored shell of the lentil, then I say “They sure are, one of the finest foods you can put in your body.” He says “I don’t want to eat them.” I had to think fast…. what would he find relatable… I thought of how much he loves the movie Cars, then I said “Why not? Lightening McQueen would eat them!” He said “Where? On Route 66?” I answered “Yes! On route 66.”
Ingredients for finest fuel of route 66 lentils:
- 1 – teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 – cup chopped onion
- 1/4 – cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 – cup chopped celery
- 1/4 – cup chopped tomato
- 1 – clove of garlic chopped
- 5 – cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 – cups lentils (cleaned and rinsed)
- 1/2 – cup cilantro
- 1 – ounce queso fresco (crumbled)
- In a pot fitted with a lid over a medium flame add in olive oil. Allow to get hot.
- Add in onion, carrot, and celery. Saute for 10 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, and garlic. Continue to saute for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in low sodium chicken broth and allow to come to a boil.
- Add in lentils and bring to a rolling boil. Cover pot with lid, and lower the flame down to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes.
- Remove lid and add in cilantro leaves and then place the lid back on the pot and continue to simmer for 5 more additional minutes.
- Serve in a bowl and sprinkle the top with queso fresco.
This recipe was inspired by the video for Lightning McQueen’s Balsamic Motor Oil Chicken from Disney’s new series Dishes Inspired by Disney. Check out the video below:
[videopost src=’http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kOH53FsasY&feature=share&list=PLoBrweoVzpIDmRPg-BVVAkCLV_KegQANc’]For the full Lightning McQueen’s Balsamic Motor Oil Chicken recipe, visit Spoonful!
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.