My son is obsessed with making cake out of the box these days, and sometimes I give into the urge. I have to say that I don’t want to always make the same old thing, so we mix it up by adding ingredients to a box mix and making it semi-homemade. He likes it, and feels like he is taking part in creating a masterpiece and I like that I am spending quality time in the kitchen with the boy I love more than anything!
We took a basic vanilla cake mix and added fresh blueberries to it, and then I made a blueberry glaze for the top … no one would ever guess that these delicious cupcakes are only semi-homemade.
Ingredients for vanilla cupcakes and blueberry glaze:
- 24 – cupcake paper holders
- 2 – dozen cupcake tins
- 1 – box vanilla cake mix
- 1 – cup water
- 1/2 – cup vegetable oil
- 3 – eggs
- 2 1/2 – cups blueberries
- 2 – tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 – cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line the cupcake tins with paper cupcake holders. Set to the side.
- In a mixer add cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and eggs. Mix to combine.
- Pour 1 cup of blueberries into cake batter. Mix to combine.
- Divide batter among the 24 cup cake holders evenly (a little under 1/4 cup per cupcake holder)
- Bake for 18 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Make the blueberry glaze: In a blender add 1 cup of blueberries and 2 tablespoons of water. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the blueberry blend through a sieve to collect any blueberry skin.
- Add powdered sugar and 1/4 cup of blueberry blend to a bowl and mix until smooth.
- Use 1/2 teaspoon of blueberry glaze on the top of each cupcake and spread to cover tops.
- Top each cupcake with remaining blueberries.
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.