Lite Bite: Apple "Cheddar" Toastkathypatalsky
Apple season is here and those lovely signs reading “New Crop Apples!” are sprouting up all over local farmer’s markets. And when you bring home a giant bag of fresh fall apples, you will likely want plenty of easy recipes on hand to consume them in their delicious, crisp, pure state. This Apple “Cheddar” Toast is one of my favorites for fall. The flavor duo of apples + cheese ranks right up there with peanut butter + banana for me. The sweet crisp apples, all juicy and tart mingling with the rich savory flavor of cheddar. I’ve made a few easy recipe accents to boost the flavor. And I’ve used one of my favorite quick plant-based cheddar cheeses to keep this recipe dairy-free. Get my recipe!..
Lite Bite: Apple “Cheddar” Toast
serves 1, vegan
1 large slice sprouted or whole grain sandwich bread
1 small apple – or 1/2 large apple, thinly sliced
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh herbs or an herbed spring mix (dill, cilantro, parsley work well)
a few dashes of chili salt (spicy seasoned salt with a touch of sugar, paprika and chili)
a few dashes black pepper
1 Tbsp Teese vegan cheddar cheese (or your own favorite brand)
note: if you cannot find Teese, Daiya or Follow Your Heart brands of vegan cheddar are also delicious!
1. Toast your bread – if you have a lay-flat toasted oven you can easily melt the cheddar on the bread in one swift step. If you have a traditional toaster, toast your bread, then add the cheese and microwave for about 15 seconds – the Teese cheddar melts VERY fast so it is easy to make in a flash.
2. Thinly slice you apple – add slices over top the toast and leave the remaining apple slices as a side bite.
3. Drizzle the olive oil over top, add the spices, pepper and herbs – some herbs or greens on the side is a nice touch too.
Serve warm! This recipe also works well with pears.
image credit: Kathy Patalsky
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.
Don’t miss the latest from Family Kitchen – Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen:
* Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
* Blueberry Buzz Smoothie
* 19 Vegan Muffin Recipes for fall
* 7 Meatless Sloppy Joes
* McDonald’s India to Open Vegetarian Locations!
* Stacked Mushroom Melt Veggie Burger
* Roasted Cheezy (Amazing) Broccoli