This fresh and nutritious dish is healthy and ideal for a summer evening. My friend, Chef David Wells is the king of creating wholesome, seasonal recipes using the finest ingredients. In this post, he shares step-by-step instructions for making a beautiful paper wrapped fish that is light and elegant.
Mahi Mahi en Papillote (Asian-Style Paper Wrapped Fish) – The Recipe
Yield: Six Portions
Prep time: 60 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- Parchment Paper
- Sheet pan(Baking Pan)
- 6 Pieces Parchment cut into hearts see illustration
- 2 T melted butter
- 6, 6-8 ounce portions Mahi Mahi fillet
- 2 large Carrots, julienned
- 2 Stalks celery, julienned
- 9 Snow peas julienned
- 9 shittake mushrooms stemmed and slice thin(optional)
- 1 leek julienned
- 1 ½ ” chunk ginger, julienned
- 1 ½ ” chunk lemongrass, cut into thin strips
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on a bias
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1T sesame seeds
- Kosher or sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Click on photo gallery for step-by-step recipe instructions.
Paper Wrapped Mahi Mahi 1 of 6The finished dish....
Step 1 – Getting Started 2 of 6Preheat oven to 375. Prep all ingredients Cut Parchment into giant hearts
Step 2 – The Fish 3 of 6Lay out parchment and brush melted butter onto hearts evenly. Try doing three at a time as they will take up a lot surface area. Place fish down onto center of one side of parchment heart.
Step 3 – The Other Ingredients 4 of 6Lay down ginger, lemongrass, sesame seeds and scallions on either side of fish fillet. Evenly distribute vegetables over fish fillet. Drizzle lemon juice over vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 4 – Folding 5 of 6Fold over other side of parchment and continue to fold over small creased sections as illustrated.
Step 5 – Finishing Fold and Baking 6 of 6Bake for 15-20 minutes until paper is golden and fish is making a tzzsssss sound.