Flan. That’s a word my whole family loves to hear. It’s usually followed with “Did you say flan?” I sure did. It is not only limited to my family, everyone I know goes a little bonkers over flan, especially me. I don’t know if it’s the creamy sweet softness that drives me nuts or the idea that flan is so versatile and lends itself to many flavors.
The base of the recipe always stays the same … a can of evaporated milk, a can of sweetened condensed milk, a few eggs, and I like to add cream cheese to mine for and extra creamy texture. What you add on top of it is what makes each flan different. I have made many different types, everything from choco-flan (flan cake), to coconut flan, to pumpkin flan, and now banana cajeta flan.
I was thinking about it, before I ever knew how to create flan I would have never guessed it was made with two different canned milks. When I learned of the actual ingredients … I thought of course that makes sense. I pictured my grandmother making flan in her kitchen when I was a kid, and I could faintly remember her shaking the evaporated milk, then easily punching a hole in each side and pouring her milk into the blender. I think flan is one of the easiest desserts to bake, yet people think it is some masterpiece that they would be too scared to attempt. The truth is, flan is as easy as opening up a few cans of canned milk and blending it with a few other ingredients. Once you make it the first time, it will always be your go to dessert to dazzle friends and family with. I know it’s mine.
Banana Cajeta Flan 1 of 6
This lovely banana cajeta flan is made with two of the best canned milks on the market.
Canned Milk x 2 2 of 6
The two canned milks I can't make my flan without.
Cajeta 3 of 6
Pour cajeta into the center of the bundt pan evenly. Set to the side. Side note: Cajeta is a goat's milk caramel, that could be purchased already made in Mexican specialty markets or gourmet markets.
Pour The Milk In 4 of 6
Pour both milks and banana into the blender.
All Ingredients In The Blender 5 of 6
Once all the flan ingredients are in the blender, blend until smooth.
Covered And Placed In A Bain Marie 6 of 6
Cover the bundt pan and place in a baking dish, then fill with boiling hot water. Bake for 70 minutes at 350 degrees fahrenheit.
Ingredients for Banana Cajeta Flan:
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 – cup cajeta
- 2 ripe bananas
- 4- eggs
- 1 /2 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 can Nestle’s evaporated milk
- 1 can Nestle’s sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Lightly spray a bundt pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Fill the bottom of the pan with cajeta. As you pour it in, circle your hand around the inside of the pan to evenly distribute the cajeta.
- In a blender add bananas, eggs, vanilla, cream cheese, evaporated milk, and sweetened condensed milk. Place the lid on the blender and blend on high for 3 minutes or until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Slowly pour the flan mixture into the bundt pan over the cajeta.
- Cover the top of the bundt pan with a piece of aluminum foil.
- In a large baking dish fill halfway to the middle with HOT boiling water, creating a bain marie. Then place the covered bundt pan in the middle of the baking dish.
- Place the baking dish into the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the baking dish from oven, and set on a safe stable surface. Then remove the bundt pan from the middle of the baking dish and set to the side. Discard the water from the inside of the baking dish.
- Remove the aluminum foil from the top of the bundt pan and allow flan to cool for one hour.
- Then place a plate on top of the flan and invert flan onto the plate by flipping the pan over and onto the plate.
- Leave the flan on the plate covered with the bundt pan and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove bundt pan and cut. Enjoy!
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.
MORE ON BABBLE
7 must-haves for a well-stocked pantry
The 9 tastiest canned food recipes
7 family meals made with yummy black beans
7 ways to prepare a hearty home-cooked meal in 15 minutes or less
How to use a can of chickpeas to make dinner for a week