Cakes and Baking
Make-up Compact Birthday Cake
- 2 store-bought double sponge cakes
- 1 stick plus one tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 drops rose food coloring
- 8 inches aluminum foil
- 20 inches strap black licorice
- 1 twizzler stick or sour power straw
- 1 white marshmallow
- 2 sweet tarts
- sprinkles or colored sugar of choice
Cut edges off both sponges about 1 inch from edge, with a bread knife.
Stand up one of the cakes on its cut edge and move it to butt against the other cake to resemble an open compact. Measure the aluminum foil against the cake, cut or fold the aluminum foil to fit with about 1/3 inch gap to the edge of the cake.
Make the icing by beating butter and confectioners sugar together until well combined. Add vanilla and food coloring and ensure it has a smooth, spreadable consistency. Add water by the drop if the mixture is too stiff, or add extra confectioners sugar by the tablespoon until you reach the desired consistency.
Ice the bottom half of the cake and then the top. Fix the aluminum foil to the top part of the cake – it will stick to the icing. Stand the top part of the cake up and ice the back of it.
To decorate, cut the strips of licorice with scissors to 1/4 inch widths and arrange around the aluminum foil as a border to the ‘mirror’ and create some boxes or circles on the lower part of the cake to represent blush and/or eye shadow.
Fill in the gaps with sprinkles/colored sugar and press down with forefinger into the icing.
Place two sweet tarts near the connection of the two cakes to represent hinges.
Lastly, place a twizzler stick (or any type of candy that looks like a stick) and a marshmallow cut to size with scissors for the make up applicator.
- Packaged sponge cakes can be found in large chain supermarkets with a bakery section, you may also order them from your local bakery.
- You don’t need to use a round cake, use a square on if you like – your only limit is your imagination!
- This cake is particularly popular with pre-teens, and can be decorated by them, freeing you of cake decorating duties if you so desire!