Thanks to Disney Magic of Healthy Living for sponsoring this post. Watch their fun-for-the-whole-family new video series Dishes Inspired by Disney and click here to get more healthy, magical recipes inspired by your favorite Disney movies.
Even if your agenda for the day doesn’t include defying age old sacred customs and unleashing havoc in a Scottish kingdom, like Merida, the Princess from Brave, chances are you can use a quick, satisfying snack that’s healthy too.
Merida’s Oatmeal Brave Bites will give you the energy of a precocious princess capable of battling any challenge that comes your way. Each power-packed Bite is loaded with oats, whole wheat, applesauce and cinnamon. Add your favorite dried fruits, nuts or even chocolate morsels for a “brave” burst of energy that’s easily portable and truly snackable.
In fact, this recipe was inspired by the Dishes Inspired by Disney video for Merida’s Brave Bear Bento Box — another healthy and portable option for energy on the go! Check it out here and keep reading to find out how you can make these delicious oatmeal bites:
Oatmeal Applesauce Brave Bites
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup dried cranberries, raisins, chopped nuts or small semi-sweet chocolate pieces (optional)
1. In an electric mixer, cream butter and brown sugar throughly.
2. Add cinnamon, baking soda, coarse salt and vanilla. Cream throughly.
3. Add egg and applesauce and combine.
4. Mix in oats and whole wheat flour.
5. Mix in optional ingredients as desired.
6. Refrigerate dough for at least one hour.
7. Preheat oven to 365(F).
8. Drop by rounded teaspoon-full onto baking sheet.
9. Bake in preheated 365(F) oven for 9 minutes.
Makes 50 Brave Bites. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.