Mexican Migas: The Non-Spicy Cousin Of ChilaquilesNicole Presley
I always knew when my mom was making migas as a kid. The house smelled of corn tortillas, onion, egg and cheese. It’s a distinctive smell that can not be replaced by any other, and I would say, “Are you making migas?” It seems nothing has changed — now when I make them my family asks me the same exact question and it’s always posed in a hopeful way. I just enjoy seeing the smile on their faces when I say “Yes…. I am making migas!”
Mexican Migas 1 of 12
This quick meal can be made in about 15 minutes. It's a crowd pleaser for sure.
What You’ll Need 2 of 12
These simple things are always in my fridge.
Triangle Corn Tortilla 3 of 12
Cut corn tortilla into triangle shapes or cut into pieces with your hand. Fry until golden crisp.
Crispy 4 of 12
Fry on both sides until golden crisp and then remove from oil and drain on a paper towel. Meanwhile fry up the rest of your tortilla triangles into chips.
Saute Onion 5 of 12
Saute the onion in a little bit of oil, and fry for about 5 minutes.
Add In The Chips 6 of 12
Mix chips and onions together in the pan.
Eggs 7 of 12
Stir it up... little darling. Stir it up.....
Pour It In 8 of 12
Pour the scrambled egg over the chips. Cook until all egg is cooked.
Cooked 9 of 12
Make sure the egg is cooked before adding in the cheese.
Queso Enchilado 10 of 12
I am seriously obsessed with queso enchilado. I used a combo of jack cheese and queso enchilado for these migas.
Cheesy 11 of 12
Once the top is sprinkled in cheese, remove from flame and let it sit for a couple of minutes so the cheese can melt a little.
Avocado And Crema Mexicana 12 of 12
Top with avocado and crema Mexicana, and you'll have a meal the whole family can enjoy!
Ingredients for Mexican migas:
- 1/3 – cup vegetable oil
- 10 – corn tortillas (cut into triangles)
- 1/4 – cup chopped onion
- 5 – eggs
- 1/2 – cup jack cheese (grated)
- 1/2 – cup enchilado cheese (grated) ( I use Cacique)
- Avocado slices
- Crema Mexicana (I use Cacique)
- In a large frying pan over a medium flame add vegetable oil and allow to get hot.
- Add in half of the tortilla triangles and fry to a crisp about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Continue with remaining tortilla triangles until all are fried.
- Saute onions in remaining oil in the pan for 4 minutes, then add in all the tortilla chips and mox to combine.
- Whisk the eggs and pour them over the tortilla chips.
- Mix to completely combine and cook until the eggs are cooked through.
- Sprinkle with both cheeses, then allow them to melt slightly.
- Remove from flame and serve with avocado slices and crema.
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.