Happy Valentine’s Day! What’s that, you say? You need a last-minute dessert to serve after dinner tonight? No problem, we’ve got you covered! If you are in the mood for a rich chocolate treat that can be assembled and baked in under an hour these Mocha Brownie Chocolate Chip Tarts are for you. It is unbelievably easy to whip this great mocha brownie batter in just a few minutes. Then you pour them in individual tart pans, or just one large pan if that is easier, and enjoy the amazing aroma emanating from your oven for the rest of the afternoon. Serve them up with a big dollop of whipped cream or a big scoop of vanilla ice cream for a decadent Valentine’s Day dessert tonight. I guarantee your sweetie will swoon, and you will, too!
Mocha Brownie Chocolate Chip Tarts
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
16 ounces semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee, the bolder the flavor the better
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup mini chocolate chips
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Butter and flour one 11³ inch tart pan, or 5 individual tart pans.
2. Melt the butter and 16 oz. of chocolate together in a heatproof bowl. You can either melt the chocolate by placing the bowl over a pot of simmering water, or by microwaving it in 30 second bursts. Stirring after each interval. Make sure butter and chocolate melt and are stirred together completely then set aside to cool.
3. In an electric mixer beat the eggs, sugar, coffee and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add melted, cooled chocolate and mix to combine.
4. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and the chocolate chips/ Gently fold this into the wet ingredients until just combined.
5. Pour batter into prepared tins and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the center of the brownie is puffed and crackly on top.
6. Cool brownies before removing from tart pan. Or, leave them in the individual pans and serve as is.