This tall-stacked Mushroom Melt Veggie Burger is perfect for your end-of-summer feasting. Plus since today could easily be called a Meatless Monday Labor Day you can combine those two celebrations in one – burgers gone meatless! The secret “melty” ingredient? Thinly sliced king oyster mushroom – sauteed to caramlized perfection and piled high atop a vegan sweet potato bean burger patty – with some melty vegan cheese too. You can use a burger bun or sandwich bread – whichever you prefer. Melty mushrooms make any veggie burger better!..
Mushroom Melt Veggie Burger
vegan, for one burger
2 large king oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp safflower, olive or canola oil for saute
pinch of fine black pepper
dash of cayenne
2 Tbsp vegan cheese (any variety – I used Monterey Jack, Follow Your Heart brand. Daiya Cheese would melt very nicely too.)
1 Tbsp vegan mayo
squeeze of lemon juice
dash of black pepper
dash of cayenne (optional)
1/4 avocado, sliced, dashes with cayenne + pinch of salt
1 bun or slices of bread
1 Veggie Burger Patty – I used my sweet potato veggie burger patty, recipe on Healthy Happy Life
* You can use any favorite veggie burger recipe
lettuce, tomato, onion, jalapenos, pickles..
1. Prepare your veggie burger – or heat a pe-made patty. Veggie burger recipe I used is on Healthy Happy Life. You could also browse veggie burger tips + recipes here on Babble.
2. Whip up your sauce.
3. Start layering your burger with the burger and sauce on each bun or toasted bread side. I poured the sauce right over top the warm burger to give it a moist – melty accent. Set aside.
4. Saute the mushrooms in the veggie oil until edges are caramelized. Toss in spices.
5. Add the cheese to the burger and then layer on top the pan-hot mushrooms. This should melt your vegan cheese enough. To melt even more you can saute the mushrooms with the cheese in the hot pan for a few seconds. Note: I did a double layer of cheese on my burger.
6. Add any remaining toppings and serve warm.
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.
Don’t miss the latest from Family Kitchen – Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen:
* Check out a 3-Ingredient Veggie Burger Recipe