I am a listmaker. I can’t help it, I just love a good list. Sometimes I make lists of recipes, like this one for my favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies, or this one for my favorite no-cook tomato appetizers. Last week I made a list of my favorite Brownie recipes. It is my personal feeling that brownies are nearly the perfect dessert. Nobody ever turns away a brownie and there are nearly endless ways to make them. Feeling like dressing up a brownie? Add mint icing to give them an icy twist. Need to throw together some brownies fast? Make a one-step batter in the food processor. Of all the brownies I’ve baked in my life there are a few recipes that are real standouts, here they are. Did your favorite make the cut?
Top 5 Brownie Recipes
1. Ina Garten’s Outrageous Brownies: Leave it to Ina to come up with a brownie that is so incredibly decadent they live up to their name. These intensely rich brownies almost require a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on the side to mellow them out. These brownies are definitely dressy enough to serve at dinner parties.
2. Dorie Greenspan’s Rick Katz’s Brownies for Julia: Dorie witnessed Chef Rick Katz whip these brownies up for Julia Child on the set of her television show. We all know Julia had amazing taste she was certainly spot on with these brownies. Light and airy they have a slightly sophisticated feel. I like to cut them in small squares and pass them around to friends.
3. Ad Hoc at Home’s Deluxe Brownies: These are definitely the richest brownies on the list. They call for 3 sticks (yes, 3!) of butter and it makes all the difference. The fudge-like texture makes them slightly messy to eat. Serve them in casual settings or take them to your office.
4. Giada’s Espresso Chocolate Chip Brownies: It’s not the end of world if you want to doctor up brownie mix and that’s what Giada does here. By tweaking the add-in’s and topping these brownies with a glaze she creates a dressy brownie that closely resembles a casual cake. These are great for parties. Beware, children probably won’t like their coffee-like taste.
5. Peppermint Patty Brownies: I wrote about these a couple of weeks ago. I love the addition of the icy mint frosting. It makes them almost candy-like.