Orange and Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- Zest of 1 orange, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream or milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4.5 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Mix the poppy seeds and milk in a small bowl and leave to soak.
Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease an 8 inch round cake tin and line with parchment paper.
Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the citrus rind and then the eggs one at a time, beating well between adding each egg.
Add the flour, sour cream (or milk), orange juice and poppy seed mixture and mix until just combined.
Pour into cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
To make icing, beat cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth. When the cake is cold spread the icing over the top of the cake.
- Vary this cake with different citrus fruits – tangelos, limes, and mandarin oranges work well.