Rainbow Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
By Paula Jones of
Spaghetti alla Puttanesca is a classic Southern Italian dish. It is spicy, salty, and tangy. It’s made with olives, anchovies, and herbs.
- 1 pound rainbow spaghetti (or regular spaghetti if you cannot find)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 anchovy filet
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 up green olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, roughly chopped
Place a large pot of generously salted water on boil. When boiling, add pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water in case needed. Drain.
WHILE pasta is cooking, into a saute pan, add olive oil, garlic, and anchovy. Saute until anchovy has melted into the sauce. Add tomatoes, capers, olives, and oregano. Cook for approximately 10 minutes on LOW heat, stirring as necessary.
Transfer cooked pasta to sauce pan and toss well to combine. If necessary, add a little of the pasta water to loosen sauce. Garnish with parsley.
Serve immediately! Buon Appetito!
For more of Paula’s recipes on Babble, check her out on Family Kitchen.