One of my favorite Halloween candy bars as a kid was peanut butter Twix. So during a recent homemade candy bar session, I tried to whip up my own homemade Twix candy bars. I wanted a recipe that was super easy, fast, fun and delicious. This recipe was all those things – so easy that kids can put these bars together themselves. Ready in minutes. Plus my Peanut Butter Cookie Bars, aka homemade “Twix” bars, are dairy-free and vegan. Give these decadent bars a try..
Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookie Bars
makes 10 medium sized bars
20-22 square shortbread cookies, vegan (any variety of shortbread can be used)
1 1/2 cups melted dark chocolate (see below)
3/4 cups sweet peanut butter filling (see below)
optional: chopped peanuts, coconut shreds, mini chocolate chips
Melted Candy Bar Chocolate
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life brand since they are allergy friendly)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp agave syrup
pinch of salt
to make: melt slowly with double broiler – or very carefully microwave until hot enough to stir-to-melt the chips
Sweet PB Filling
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1 Tbsp vegan butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp maple syrup
a few drops vanilla extract
to make: melt and stir well
To Make Bars:
1. Like a square tray or baking sheet with wax paper.
2. Spread an even and very thin layer of chocolate along bottom.
3. Spread a layer of shortbread cookies all across the chocolate – lined up in bars. I used 2 cookies per bar.
4. Spread the peanut butter over top the cookies. Add any additional filling like coconut or nuts.
5. Carefully drizzle the top layer of chocolate over top. You can use a complete covering of chocolate – or just use a swirled drizzle like I did. Add any more toppings.
6. Place in the freezer for about 15 minutes – this should be enough time to harden the bars so they are ready to eat. Break into bars when ready to serve. A dull knife should do the trick when splitting bars. Store in freezer.
Also try my Homemade Peanut Butter Cups! ..post includes a treat bag giveaway.