Top Chef’s Tiffany Derry knows how to throw a party – and cook for one. The viewers’ favourite in Season 7 has some advice for those planning to host a Super Bowl party tomorrow, as well as some fabulous recipes (Shrimp Nachos with Mango Salsa! Pepper Jack & Chorizo Potato Skins! Tequila and Lime Chicken Bruschetta Mozzarella!) that will make you seem like a celebrity chef in your own living room.
Here are Tiffany’s suggestions when it comes to planning a stress-free Super Bowl party – or any party, for that matter!
• Every mistake was supposed to happen. I always say that you never mess up a recipe; you just create a new one.
• Spice it up. Sometimes ordinary, simple dishes just need an extra pop of flavor to bring them to life. My Pepper Jack & Chorizo Potato Skins recipe is a great example. By just adding some Sargento Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese and some chorizo sausage it gives it extra spice and really elevates the dish.
• Choose quality ingredients. All-natural really makes a difference in cooking.
• Get cheesy. Everybody loves cheese. Incorporating an all natural never processed cheese gives dishes a rich, authentic flavor and a beautiful golden brown color.
• Just have fun! Everyone tends to get really stressed out when they’re entertaining but it’s important to relax and breathe.
And a few of her recipes to make your day even more delicious!
Pepper Jack & Chorizo Potato Skins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 20 potato skins
• 10 small red potatoes
• 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
• 8 oz. chorizo sausage casing removed
• 1 tsp. kosher salt
• ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup (4 oz.) Sargento® ChefStyle Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
• 4 green onions, thinly sliced
• 4 oz. sour cream for garnish
• Wash potatoes and put on a baking tray. Bake at 400° F about 30 minutes or until a fork is easily inserted.
• Heat a sauté pan with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and add chorizo. Cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently to break up chorizo into small pieces. Remove from heat and set aside.
• When potatoes have cooled, cut in half and scoop out potato, leaving about 1/8-inch thick shell. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a lightly greased baking pan and fill with cooked chorizo and cheese.
• Bake at 350° F for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and heated through. Sprinkle with green onion and serve with sour cream.
Shrimp Nachos with Mango Salsa
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
• ½ bag (10 oz.) tortilla chips, scoops-style
• 2 cups (8 oz.) Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Authentic Mexican Cheese, divided
• 1 ripe mango, seeded, peeled and cut into very small chunks
• 1 large ripe tomato, seeds removed and cut into small chunks
• 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
• ½ small red onion, finely diced
• Juice of 1 lime
• 2 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. pepper
• ½ lb. cooked shrimp, 51/60 size
• 4 oz. sour cream
• Preheat oven to 350°F. Put the tortilla chips on the baking sheet, top with 1 cup cheese and bake about 4 minutes until cheese is melted.
• Meanwhile, gently combine the mango, tomatoes, cilantro, onion, and lime juice in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• Top chips with shrimp and mango salsa and remaining cheese. Bake about 2 minutes more until cheese is melted. Drizzle with sour cream and serve immediately.
• One lime yields about 2 Tbsp. juice. Have at room temperature and roll firmly on counter with the palm of your hand before cutting in half.
Tequila and Lime Chicken Bruschetta Mozzarella
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 20 bruschetta pieces
Lime Chicken Ingredients:
• 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked
• ¼ cup lime juice
• ½ cup tequila
• ½ tsp. lime zest
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• ½ Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1 Tbsp. honey
Tomato Relish Ingredients:
• 2 tomatoes, diced small
• 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 1 tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. pepper
• 1 Tbsp. olive oil
• 20 ½-inch thick sliced French Baguette, toasted
• 1 ¼ cups (6 oz.) Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese
• Mix lime juice, lime zest, tequila, cumin, salt, pepper and honey in a bowl.
• In a separate bowl, shred chicken into medium size chunks and pour lime mixture over. Stir to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes.
• Combine relish ingredients in another small bowl.
• Place baguette slices on baking sheet and top with drained chicken mixture, tomato relish and cheese.
• Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes to melt cheese.
• You will need 2 limes to yield ¼ cup lime juice. To yield the most juice, have at room temperature and firmly roll limes on counter with the palm of your hand before cutting in half.