Prince William and Kate Middleton Engaged: Celebrate with Orange Cranberry SconesJennifer Savor the Thyme
This would also be a wonderful recipe to share on Thanksgiving Day or with guests for any occasion…
Ingredients (Yield 8 scones or 16 mini-scones)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons more if necessary
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
4 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest.
3. Add the butter into the flour mixture, and mix on low until just blended. Yes, the dough will be lumpy.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add the buttermilk, and stir until just combined; do not overmix. Add in dried cranberries and mix on low until combined.
5. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and shape into an 8-inch round. Cut circle into 8 wedges or even smaller if you want mini-scones but watch the baking times. Transfer to baking sheet, placing the scones a half-inch apart. Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
6. Once the scones are cool, combine the confectioner’s sugar and orange juice and drizzle over the scones. This icing is my favorite part.
Speaking of Celebrating, remember to enter to win a Roasting Pan and Thermometer!